Saturday, October 17, 2009

Mission Follow-up!

On January 28th, 2009, blessed by the outpouring of support from my benefactors, I arrived in Ecuador, full of zeal to be once again in this country I have loved so dearly since my first trip in 2004 and to continue in the work I had started in September of 2007 at Fundación Santa María del Fiat. I returned to the States on May 29th, just in time to attend my Pre-Orientation for medical school at the University of Minnesota, Duluth. The months between were packed full, and I arrived home exhausted in every way. But perhaps this is as it should be, for Blessed Mother Teresa would say, “Give until it hurts.” I could rattle on and on about all that occurred, the ups and downs, the joys and the challenges. But I know your time is valuable to you. So I invite you to glimpse into my mission life by relating to you a story about one particular young woman: Señora María.


I first met María in the fall of 2007. She lives in a tiny community, La Rinconada, nestled into the oceanside cliffs at the furthest edge of the province. She, her fisherman husband, and her two (now three!) delightful children soon became dear friends. In the typical yet forever astounding show of Ecuadorian hospitality, my first trip to La Rinconada included an invitation to her home for deliciously fresh fruit juice, straight-off-the-boat seafood and a pile of rice. Her warm smile and easy laughter paired with the tender love within her family immediately drew me to them. I distinctly recall comparing myself to this dear friend, close in age but what seemed to be worlds apart. Due to other responsibilities, I could not return to this serene little village with much frequency, but as often as I could, I snuck away on Saturday afternoons with Father Othmar who celebrated Mass every week in their chapel dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.


When I returned to Ecuador in January, many things had changed at the foundation, including the work they needed me to complete. Instead of primarily caring for our resident children, I filled two roles: community-based first aid instructor and clinic nurse. At the request of the foundation’s healthcare outreach, another volunteer nurse named Sara and I planned and implemented a ten-week basic first aid course that we taught in four of the more remote communities. To my immense elation, La Rinconada was chosen as one of the locations. María, despite her lack of access to education beyond elementary school, is a very intelligent woman, and she was, of course, eager to attend the course. Week after week, Sara or I would take the twenty-minute bus ride up the coast then walk the twenty minutes down the newly paved road to our destination. Emerging from the forest to come around the bend where the ocean first came into view never ceased to be a breathtaking moment for me. And there, every Monday afternoon in one of the community’s two classrooms, a beautiful thing would occur. Twelve people from the community, from pre-teens to the middle-aged, would gather to be empowered with knowledge about their health. Nothing earth-shattering was covered in the lecture material: vital sign assessment, prevention of disease transmission, basic anatomy. But their lives were touched. They were amazed that these crazy white girls hiked their way over every week to teach them. They were challenged by the experience of being in a classroom setting when some of them had not even finished elementary school. They were thrilled at the opportunity to improve themselves. María, her newborn baby, and her twelve-year-old son completed the course at the top of their class.


Had life circumstances been different, María could be the one starting medical school this fall. Instead, she and her husband will continue to care lovingly for their three children. They will continue fighting to get one more step ahead. They will continue the daily routines of fishing for lobster and washing their clothes in the river. Their life is simply and truly beautiful.


And me? I have the opportunity to study medicine now, to gain the knowledge necessary to care for people like María and her family.


Neither path is better. And we both will be fulfilled by pursuing the Lord’s Will with great joy and fervor. But I certainly realize the great gift it is to have the opportunity that lays before me now. May it not be taken for granted.


Thank you so much for your prayers and support. May you be blessed abundantly in your own daily mission.


With Love, Prayers, and Appreciation,

Mariya

No comments:

Post a Comment